By Jean-Francois Sobiecki B.Sc. (Hons) Ethnobotany
Turmeric, called Haridra in Tamil is an ancient plant medicine of India.
Many Westerners know of its anti-inflammatory uses today, but Turmeric has so many other uses that I call it The Repairer.
Why I call Turmeric the Repairer is that it appears to be able to repair damage in the body and rectify a number of disease conditions including:
- Curcumin (one of the active compounds), can correct the most common expression of the genetic defect that is responsible for cystic fibrosis, suggests an animal study published in the Science (April 2004).
- Increases Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) to enhance nerve growth in the frontal cortex, (Brain Tonic).
- Possible prevention of Alzheimers disease by inhibiting amyloid-B aggregation.
- Lowering Cholesterol: Research reveals curcumin communicates with genes in liver cells, directing them to increase the production of receptors for LDL (bad) cholesterol. With more LDL-receptors, liver cells are able to clear more LDL-cholesterol from the body.
- Curcumin has anti inflammatory actions useful for Irritable Bowel syndrome and has anti-cancer properties as well as increasing bile secretion…etc etc
A truly diverse healing plant!
Ps: You can increase Turmeric’s healing action by mixing it with black pepper in drinks using milk and other spices such as cardamom. “Golden Milk”
To Learn More about the Healing Properties of other Tonic Plant Foods, Herbs and Spices See Jeans New Online Food as Medicine Courses 😀 here: https://www.phytoalchemy.pro/
“Health like Life Itself is a Journey, Embrace it”