Food As Medicine
Welcome to the First course unit: Food as Medicine.
In this colourful and interesting course, Jean will help you to know how to use super plant foods, herbs, spices, and vitamins and minerals to boost your mood, concentration, immunity, libido and energy, and how you can use these natural medicines to effectively treat and prevent lifestyle diseases such as stress, anxiety, ADHD, memory loss, depression, heart disease and high blood pressure. 1hr: 20min
Module 1: How Plants Heal 30:07
- What is healing?
- The fundamental principles of holistic medicine.
- How plants heal? The 5 main principles of: nutrient diversity, raw food enzymes, fiber, phyto (plant) chemicals as tonics, and the heating and cooling properties of plant foods.
- Examples of super plant foods, herbs and spices we can use as medicines for preventing and treating lifestyle diseases such as heart disease, cancer, inflammation and indigestion.
- The relationship between fiber prebiotics and flora probiotics and their benefits in making brain structures and protecting the digestive system.
- Outlining anti-cancer, immuno-modulating, cholesterol lowering and anti-depressant plant foods for boosting your health and wellness.
Benefits: Learn the healing properties of everyday food plants that you can select and use to treat and prevent specific lifestyle diseases or conditions.
Module 2: What are Psychoactive Plants and their Healing Ability? 27:00
- What are psychoactive plants?
- Definitions and examples: Rooibos, Helichrysum (Imphepho), Cacao etc.
- How psychoactive plants heal and their affects on the nervous system: example of Ayahuasca, essential oils: frankincense and other incenses etc.
- The neurobiology of mood and perception: How the brain perceives using minerals and vitamins from plant foods.
- What is the role of fiber and fats in a healthy brain?
- Which super foods help produce brain chemicals such as serotonin and dopamine to boost and improve your mood, concentration and to reduce and prevent stress, anxiety and depression?
- The role of nutrition and allergenic foods in ADHD.
- Antidepressant plants to uplift the mood: e.g., Sceletium.
- The therapeutic uses and contraindications of using Cannabis.
- Which medicinal plants and products you can use to boost memory, concentration attention, and libido. Examples: Ashwagandha, Bacopa, Passiflora etc.
Benefits: Learn the role of medicinal plants, vitamins and minerals in boosting brain chemistry and maintaining a healthy mood to reduce stress and anxiety.
Module 3: Tonic Food Plants and Spices 18:27
- Top 20 Tonic Plant Foods and how we can use them to prevent disease and illness. Examples include: Garlic, Lemon, Flaxseed, Turmeric, Coconut, Apricot, Almonds, Cranberries, Licorice etc.
- Recipes for including these in the diet.
- Understanding how spices and essential oils act as medicines, e.g., cardamom for mucus reduction etc.
- Principles of detoxification.
Benefits: Select for foods with tonic properties to keep you functioning optimally.
To boost and supplement your knowledge Jean has included: A super useful medicinal plant reference guide for treating the main body systems and conditions, Worksheet notes: 23 Nutrient Dense foods Quiz, The Fundamental Principles of Holistic Health and Medicine, and Podcasts.
Diversity: The spice of life.
Turmeric as an example of a plant medicine.
What is a plant food and what is a plant medicine?
Don’t forget, Jean also provides individual online consultations for specific questions you have regarding your nutritional needs.
Enjoy the Journey into Knowing the Power of Food as Natural Medicine to Heal & Transform Your Life!